Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
The Crimson Guard

Recent

Teamspeak

Loading... Progress
Need Voice Comms? 

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2017, 12:20:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Farewell, LOST  (Read 4804 times)
Uriel
Guild Member

« on: May 24, 2010, 04:44:36 PM »

For six years your mysteries, characters, writing, directing, acting and music have thrilled me, moved me, frustrated and challenged me.  I have had endless hours of debate with my wife, with friends about the meaning and nuance of the show, and the finale won't silence those conversations.  To me this is indicative of something more than a simple TV show- its what great works of art & literature bring to the world.
   Everyone has their pet theories and mysteries, and I'm certain that for the vast majority of fans they weren't all resolved or answered.  I recall about midway through season one (the first time we watched it) turning to my wife at some point and saying "I'm not sure this show knows where its going, but its so good I just don't care right now."  Without revealing anything, about midway through the finale it was pretty clear they wouldn't get to some of my pet theories, but after choking back tears  for the umpteenth time I realized I didn't care about all the answers anymore. In fact, part of me feels that in answering any and all questions, the show would lose some of what made it so special in the first place. Sometimes the journey is more important than the destination.
   As silly as it sounds, it feels a little like losing a loved one (or several) knowing I have seen the last new LOST.  In the end it was always a show about people- flawed, hurting, crazy wonderful people.  I'll miss all of them- even Claire.  However, I'm thankful that the show got to go out much like it began: on its own terms.  It wasn't dragged out endlessly then left to die a slow unceremonious death by the money men of tinsel town as so much else has.  You don't have to be completely satisfied with the ending to at least be satisfied that it ended.

So long LOST.  Thanks for tropic polar bears, smoke monsters, cursed numbers, Dharma videos and Daniel Faraday.  Thanks six years of awesome.  I'll see you around Christmas, in all of your HD glory.

Dude.
Angellyn
Guild Member

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 06:06:47 PM »

I'm glad they all died at the end
Agile
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 10:10:44 PM »

I agree.. many touching moments, and I guess if many of touching moments happened in Purgatory, where they'd finally worked out so many of their flaws. Just made me wish it'd been "real life" instead of not real.

In retrospect, it's kind of neat on that so many things WERE confirmed, visually, if not just plain spoken of. Like, their being an actual cork (albeit it a 100lb rock one) there, stopping what could have been considered hell from coming out to the world. Which, Jacob foreshadowed about in the Richard episode.

We finally get the idea where all the electromagnetism comes from. Apparently, the friction point between heaven, hell, and the real world causes a lot of electromagnetic energy. So, it's a mystical place, the Island, and lots of weird things go on there, that just simply won't have an explanation - like the friggin numbers. Maybe the electromagnetism causes them to resonate through space and time.

Ianhawk
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 11:43:09 PM »

The island wasn't purgatory, the finale episode goes over that in the church, that everyone met up in the sideways- purgatory area. Jack's dad mentions that some were here waiting, for the others to show up. The numbers were explained in a feature on one of the discs, I will have to dig up the explanation I read.

Yes, the finale was sad. But it makes it so no one else can pick up the show and ends the show on a nice note.

http://www.lostblog.net/lost/tv/show/4-8-15-16-23-42-the-numbers-explained
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 11:48:21 PM by Ianhawk » Logged

"Do or do not... there is no try."

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”
-Yoda
Uriel
Guild Member

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 11:46:07 PM »

Wait Eric- only sideways was purgatory.  All the rest was real life.  All that happened on the island was real and mattered.  Some of them did work out their baggage in real life- Jack for example.  In fact it's funny that Jack was at peace and letting go as he died- but needed to be reminded to let go time and time again in the Waiting Room.

The numbers kinda get an explanation in some of the material related to the show- on http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Numbers they make reference to a formula written by someone associated with Dharma.  That page also has a great quote from Damon making reference to explaining all of Lost's many mysteries as the midi-chlorian debate.  I can totally see this.  The explanation of the force kind of made the force far less interesting.  

Dude.
Angellyn
Guild Member

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 11:35:05 AM »

wtf they really died?
Uriel
Guild Member

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 02:07:49 PM »

Not exactly, but in a sense yes.

Dude.
Yajirobe
ESO Officer

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 02:21:38 AM »

WAY TO RUIN THE SHOW FOR ME, lol i seriously just rented season one and now its like why watch it if i know they all die, thx imma go back to sc2 now assholes
Angellyn
Guild Member

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 09:09:59 AM »

Season 1 was the only one worth watching so just watch it and then the finally and thats all you need to know.
RFlagg
Guild Member

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 10:00:14 AM »

If you read about the Monomyth or Joseph Campbell's "A Hero with a Thousand Faces" or even Dantes Divine Comedy, there is so many ideas that is prevalent in the LOST show.

Check out some of the ideas outlined and compare the hero's path to Jack and you will notice alot of the ideas was played out by the writers

Uriel
Guild Member

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 04:07:06 PM »

Yaji watch it anyway.  Knowing how something ends doesn't make it not worth the time & effort, and what's been stated here is a pretty grand oversimplification.  Saying 'everyone dies' was meant as a joke, and even if its close to the truth, it's not accurate.

The show was always about Jack, and watching his journey as well as those of his fellow castaways is still pretty moving regardless of the outcome.  In fact, Jack's becomes all the more poetic with the outcome.

And don't worry, after six years of mysteries there's plenty that no one here or anywhere else outside of the LOST writer's room can spoil for you.

PS- take a break from SC2 and let one of us get you in the guild on Baelgun in WoW.

Dude.
Angellyn
Guild Member

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 01:26:39 PM »

omg i bought all 10!
Uriel
Guild Member

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 03:47:47 PM »

Bringing a whole new meaning to LOST

Dude.
Agile
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 03:55:23 PM »

Anyway... soo.. Wink I know the Island wasn't Purgatory and that the Sideways crap actually was. I guess I'm okay with how it ended, and yes, Yaji, everyone dies.. as is the case in real life. They aren't explicit with when everyone actually dies though. Some lived very long lives, though they aren't particularly exact on which ones those are, but we do know who did not (read: anyone who actually died on the show).

Thespian
Guild Member

Hoobidah!

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 02:41:04 AM »

I spent 2 weeks watching seasons 3,4,5 on Hulu in preperation for this last season...i really thought that the final season was going to be of epic proportions, and i wanted to witness history in the making...i was sorely disappointed with how the series ended to be honest...IMO, there should have been at least one more season of this show in order to wrap up all the loose ends and questions...the whole point of the show was to posit theories and hypotheticals that the fans could debate on, without them actually knowing for sure what the exact answer was; yet the writers/creators would know the actual reasons and be able to explain each as the show continued...the fact that the final season was advertised as "all answers will be revealed", yet only more questions were raised, tells me that the leftover creative minds behind the show had no idea how to end it all...they simply decided to find the easiest route out of the situation in order to satisfy the casual fan...there are only a few examples of a single show having a continuous and building storyline that are extremely successful, most of which are of sci-fi related...there was a complete misunderstanding of how fanatical these fans can be, and i think we were cheated out of what we deserved...the ending was almost completely expected, and was qrapped up far too quickly...like i said, there should have been at LEAST 1 other season for this show to tell all

on the plus side, there may be a spinoff about Hurley as #1 and Benjamin as his #2 and there 'adventures', which id like to see...i always knew Hurley would take over for Jacob too =P

Si vic pacem para bellum.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

*BoldItalicizedInsert ImageInsert Quote
* Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry
Last 6 Shouts:
September 04, 2016, 01:28:32 PM
Wink Thespian - I am lucky I got me one of those! Tongue
August 23, 2016, 10:24:50 PM
Summer sux w/o a Racy women at your side
July 20, 2016, 08:39:04 AM
Hey y'all!! Hope everyone is having an Awesome summer!!!
July 06, 2015, 07:06:32 AM
Ha! Ark, eh? I played a little bit, neat little game! Jules is still playing it a lot. Smiley I've been dabbling in TSW, SWTOR and NW
June 09, 2015, 06:05:40 PM
I am there with you Ianhawk also playing a lot of RUST
June 09, 2015, 08:34:06 AM
Addicted to now playing Ark Survival evolved.
Show 50 latest

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 15372
  • Total Topics: 1845
  • Online Today: 5
  • Online Ever: 51
  • (February 27, 2013, 01:50:06 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 3