Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
The Crimson Guard

Recent

Teamspeak

Loading... Progress
Need Voice Comms? 

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 21, 2017, 03:15:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Headset Recommendation: Logitech G930  (Read 1867 times)
szalkerous
Guild Member

もういちど ください!

« on: February 03, 2014, 01:53:58 PM »

Hey everyone,

I just recently picked up a Logitech G930 Wireless 7.1 Surround headset as my old pair kept getting the cord run over and I felt it was time for something better.

This headset is circumaural (covers the whole ear), as most surround headphones require, and employs a nice tight fit. The passive sound deadening is impressive; I feel as though I could use these at the shooting range. The low tone is tight, the mid and upper range crisp with no audible loss within the spectrum of frequency response. Surround sound from a Dolby Digital source is accurate, and the surround can be disabled with a switch. The software driver also supports sidetoning, which the the effect of having your microphone signal played through the headset with no delay. This prevents the sensation that your ears are plugged up, and for someone who has worked with vocal audio recording you grow very used to needing that feature and become quite uncomfortable without it.

I also liked the smaller details, such as the mute button on device lighting a red LED within the microphone boom just visible in the corner of the eye so that you don't have those "talking on mute" moments.

The range while unplugged is impressive, I can walk down a floor and off to the kitchen without any signal loss or audio degradation. The battery life appears to hover around 8 hours on a full charge, as reported by the Logitech software.

This being a Logitech "G" model device, it employs three customizable "G buttons" on the outside of the left cup. Using their software, this can be mapped to do a myriad of things, some perhaps useful, others more for cheap entertainment (voice alterations, etc.) I found little use for these buttons, and as such they provide more gimmick than value to me.

This brings us to the Logitech software. Not owning any other "G" model devices, I did have to install the rather large 60MB software package to use the headset as intended. I did notice the default Microsoft drivers did drive the basic microphone and sound of the device just fine, but it lacked fidelity adjustments and given the choice I would still install the manufacturer's software package. I assume the Logitech Gaming Software also drives the "G" keyboards, mice, gamepads, etc. as well.

Overall very impressed with what came of this relatively cheap expenditure (I was looking at other headsets at twice or more the price) but I am very satisfied so anyone looking for an upgrade should definitely consider looking into the G930.

They're available at most Best Buy stores, but since the NewEgg price on sale was $109.99 instead of the BB price of $159.99 I had them price match in the store.

-Sz

Bengal
ESO Officer

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 05:15:30 PM »

I've had this headset for a while now and I love it

Agile
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 05:33:10 PM »

Wow, that is nice. I've never thought in terms of a recharchable headset before, but wireless would be nice, no doubt. My issues these days is I like to switch between speakers and headset and sometimes that works well in games and othertimes, not so much (where you have to exit the game entirely to get the sound to go through a different device.. blah.)

I find it usually works better with USB based products though.

Meryke
Guild Member

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 01:13:44 PM »

I also have a G930 and agree that they are an awesome set. Due to another failing set. I need to use my G930 for work and replaced my gaming set at home with Astro A50s. Its a nose-bleed pricepoint, but it makes the G930 sound like tincans and string. Just saying....
Asum AdoFae
Guild Member

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 03:07:58 PM »

Thanks for the recommendation!!

-Alicyn
Agile
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 06:56:08 AM »

Lately, I'm "in" to much lighter headsets. Back in the days before I had to wear glasses, I never thought anything of it, but over-the-ear headsets now wear my ears out and after a few hours, some of them can be downright painful. Even the lightest of headsets can be burdensome after a half-a-day on Teamspeak.

Course, one could easily argue that one shouldn't spend so much time in game at one time anyway. Wink But, I'm still a kid at heart....

I still like the idea of a wireless headset though. With my recent upgrade to my keyboard (the logitech G710+, actually - and I was fighting the idea of getting a logitech, actually!) I'm thinking I may have to try a headset. Maybe. Wink

zhaunil
ESO Officer

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 09:31:43 AM »

I have to say I love my G930. The only issue I had is the battery couldn't hold a charge after about 2 years. That being said I used mine a lot and was very rough on it.  It held up well to the beating and usage. I even just bought another one to replace it.  I do recommend trying it out before buying if you can. Like keyboards, mouse and chairs feel is important to headsets if you don't like the feel doesn't matter how good the headset is.

Agile it's funny you talk about your trying to avoid logitech. I swore of them even had almost completely switch to razer products at one point. I am now back to logitech almost excursively and very happy with them. I think my only issue is I wish the setting were cloud based like razer.
Agile
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 11:12:07 AM »

Well, I don't have an outright objection to either razer or l logitech - I've used both (in fact, my most recent three mouses were various types of razers, including the Naga Hex) - and my keyboards have largely been logitech. I have three types of logitech gaming keyboards in my house right now.

But, due to the last few just not cutting the mustard - too loud, too big, macro buttons getting in the way, unimaginative lighting, non-dedicated mute-buttons, etc.. I just kept looking for something different.

Finally I gave up. Tongue

I figure,I'm not going to have the perfect gaming keyboard with the perfect typing keyboard as well. So, I figured I'd break those two functions out and try to get the perfect gaming keyboard and so decided to try out mechanical keyboards.

That's when I found the mechanical logitech, which is apparently one of the quieter ones (cherry-brown vs. cherry red or black) and I absolutely LOVE the feel of it,though it's extremely loud. I was hoping to use/try the Corsair K-95 - despite it being Cherry Red. However, my local Microcenter only had the K-70, and the keys seemed REALLY small.. like, my wife would find it ideal but I was worried I'd fat-finger it too much. I can't describe it well, but the surfaces of the keys felt about 80% the size of your typical keyboard.

So, that's ultimately what decided it for me for the Logitech. Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

*BoldItalicizedInsert ImageInsert Quote
* Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry
Last 6 Shouts:
September 04, 2016, 01:28:32 PM
Wink Thespian - I am lucky I got me one of those! Tongue
August 23, 2016, 10:24:50 PM
Summer sux w/o a Racy women at your side
July 20, 2016, 08:39:04 AM
Hey y'all!! Hope everyone is having an Awesome summer!!!
July 06, 2015, 07:06:32 AM
Ha! Ark, eh? I played a little bit, neat little game! Jules is still playing it a lot. Smiley I've been dabbling in TSW, SWTOR and NW
June 09, 2015, 06:05:40 PM
I am there with you Ianhawk also playing a lot of RUST
June 09, 2015, 08:34:06 AM
Addicted to now playing Ark Survival evolved.
Show 50 latest

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 15372
  • Total Topics: 1845
  • Online Today: 5
  • Online Ever: 51
  • (February 27, 2013, 01:50:06 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 5