Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
The Crimson Guard

Recent

Teamspeak

Loading... Progress
Need Voice Comms? 

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2017, 08:30:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where were you  (Read 2598 times)
Kordoro
Guild Member

« on: September 11, 2013, 06:12:29 PM »

In honor of remembering those lost on this day and to never forget answer this where were you when those towers fell. --

I will start I was at work and saw it happen on the news and couldn't pull away from the TV as it all happened, sat stunned at the loss and destruction. I mean I was at the twin towers the week before and it could have been me, I left work went to get my daughter and spent the rest of the day praying for the families of those lost.

Agile
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 06:35:50 PM »

I was at home - course, that was in Centreville, VA - about 18 miles due west of the Pentagon. I was working downtown DC at the time, but I used to go to work at 10am at the time, so I was still at home when the first plane hit.

I was debating going into work, as we didn't know what the heck was going on, and then the second plane hit, and Bush was told to stay in the air, and basically marshal law was declared in DC with the National Guard rolled out to patrol the streets. Was pretty tragic and traumatizing - watching people jump out of the Twin Towers to avoid being burned alive.

I had worked in the Pentagon a year earlier.. knew folks there, but to my knowledge, no one I knew personally died there. I had friends calling from around the country asking, since they didn't know if I was still there or not. However, it seems like I knew a lot of people who did know folks who had died.. And of course, reading all the tragedies of the people on the plane who were just doing their thing, not realizing they were boarding a missile headed for the Pentagon. It was pretty heart wrenching.

Never forget.

Verd
Guild Member

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 08:49:07 PM »

I had been driving a truck almost a year then, I was in the Boston metro area delivering finish lumber to Home Depots and small mom and pop places.  I got to a small True Value and walked inside to talk to the counter guy and they were all glued to the TV. I had heard something about a plane hitting a building in NYC on the radio and we were gossiping on the CB about what kind of trouble the pilot was going to be in if he lived (we all thought it was a small plane).... I walked in the True Value with everyone glued to the TV, to see smoke billowing from North tower. I was in awe. I never imagined it was this. Just as my mind adjusted to what I was seeing, I hear the reporter say "Oh my god!, there is another one" and the camera move to show on live TV, the 2nd plane hit the South tower.

I had ALOT of deliveries to make that day, but I sat at that True Value for an hour or so, long enough to hear of the Pentagon, and watch those poor people make the choice to jump to their death rather then burn to death..... and then to see the South tower fall, I left before the North tower fell, but heard about it on the news. I needed to be alone, I cried.

I did not know anyone, that I know of, that died that day, but I wept for the people who did, I still see those images of PEOPLE falling on live TV to their death, of their own doing, because it was the better choice... I cannot watch those videos without feeling that effect.

What I also remember, is that for about 3 weeks after that horrible day, we were one. We helped one another, we did not argue, you did not hear of murders, we were a united people.... the radio stations here played the National Anthem every day at noon (one still does to this day, from that day) ..... that tragic, and heinous act, brought everyone together as Americans.... I remember that.  I wish it was still that way, but we tend to have short memories....

Anyways, thanks for this topic... I was hurting today, and sadly, 12 years later.... no one wants to hear about it.

God Bless America

Dreyder (aka Deeder)
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 08:26:20 AM »

I was at work and I remember I was incredibly annoyed at people chit-chatting and sharing links and youtube videos and CNN written articles and disturbing my concentration... until I got curious enough to find out what was happening... at first people were like "whoa check this out" (with only footage from crash)... and slowly through out the next hour, as we started absorbing all the information coming in, the gravity of the situation started to impress itself on us. Obviously at that point, as we kept hearing of more attacks coming in, we pretty much had no clue where all this was leading and where it was going to stop or how many had died or were going to.

Our accountant was on a trip and travelling through New York at that point... so many of us were getting worried.

It's hard today to remember how things were before and what changed after.... and I don't want to get political here but the world did change after that to a certain extent. Things that sounded crazy and out of a dystopian movie, now they sound like something out of a bought politician's playbook... lunatics with crazy policies that you would dismiss in laughter... you do not take anything lightly anymore.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 08:56:59 AM by Dreyder (aka Deeder) » Logged
EricKei
Guild Member

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 01:51:08 PM »

I was in class at programming/vo-tech shool. Word came across that someone had flown a plane into one of the WTC towers, immediately prompting an entire school full of tech-heads armed with laptops to try and reach the already-overwhelmed CNN website simultaneously. They ended up pulling all of the TV's-on-carts they could find so we could just keep up on cable.  No classes actually happened that day. Not too long after the second plane hit, they pretty much just said "Fuck it" and shut the place down for the day.

FFXIV: Erickei Dunsinae on Sargatanas - THM - [TCG]

FFXI (retired) - Erickei, the {Crab}{Bard} of Lakshmi

==> For those many times when the customer ISN'T right  <==
Agile
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 06:36:04 PM »

I remember they were grounding EVERYbody. I remember hearing some heartwarming tales of how some folks in Nova Scotia actually put up some Americans who got stranded there. (I think that's where it was.)

I went searching for it, and here was a post of something left from the 10th anniversary on Canada's embassy website: (http://canada.usembassy.gov/canada-us-relations/thank-you-canada:-remembering-9/11.html )

Ten years ago, nearly 3,000 innocent people -- citizens from 77 countries around the world -- lost their lives in the worst terrorist attack in American history. As we look back on the events that took place in New York, Pennsylvania and Virginia, it is important to remember the people we lost and the families they left behind, and to honor the heroic men and women who rushed to the scene as first responders and saved countless lives, even when it meant giving their own.

It is also important, however, to recognize the small mercies and acts of compassion that took place in the days, months and years following the attacks. Even as the world struggled to come to grips with the senseless terror that had manifested itself, Canadians responded with an outpouring of compassion and solidarity -- from the flowers and messages of support left outside the United States Embassy and its Consulates, to airports taking in over 200 planes that were diverted from the U.S. in the wake of the attacks, to the way ordinary Canadians opened their homes to thousands of stranded passengers and flight crews.

Ten years after those horrific events, we remember these acts of compassion with gratitude. The events of 9/11 were designed to spread a message of hatred; by responding with caring and generosity, Canadians showed that such destructive messages will never win out over kindness and compassion.

Thank you, Canada.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

*BoldItalicizedInsert ImageInsert Quote
* Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry
Last 6 Shouts:
September 04, 2016, 01:28:32 PM
Wink Thespian - I am lucky I got me one of those! Tongue
August 23, 2016, 10:24:50 PM
Summer sux w/o a Racy women at your side
July 20, 2016, 08:39:04 AM
Hey y'all!! Hope everyone is having an Awesome summer!!!
July 06, 2015, 07:06:32 AM
Ha! Ark, eh? I played a little bit, neat little game! Jules is still playing it a lot. Smiley I've been dabbling in TSW, SWTOR and NW
June 09, 2015, 06:05:40 PM
I am there with you Ianhawk also playing a lot of RUST
June 09, 2015, 08:34:06 AM
Addicted to now playing Ark Survival evolved.
Show 50 latest

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 15372
  • Total Topics: 1845
  • Online Today: 7
  • Online Ever: 51
  • (February 27, 2013, 01:50:06 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 1