Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
The Crimson Guard

Recent

Teamspeak

Loading... Progress
Need Voice Comms? 

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 18, 2017, 02:12:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disney buying Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion  (Read 9498 times)
Krisa
Guild Member

« on: October 30, 2012, 04:24:13 PM »

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Disney is paying $4.05 billion to buy Lucasfilm Ltd., the production company behind "Star Wars," from its chairman and founder, George Lucas. It's also making a seventh movie in the "Star Wars" series called "Episode 7," set for release in 2015, with plans to follow it with Episodes 8 and 9 and then one new movie every two or three years.

The Walt Disney Co. announced the blockbuster agreement to make the purchase in cash and stock Tuesday. The deal includes Lucasfilm's prized high-tech production companies, Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound, as well as rights to the "Indiana Jones" franchise.

Disney CEO Bob Iger said in a statement that the acquisition is a great fit and will help preserve and grow the "Star Wars" franchise.

"The last 'Star Wars' movie release was 2005's 'Revenge of the Sith' — and we believe there's substantial pent-up demand," Iger said.

Kathleen Kennedy, the current co-chairman of Lucasfilm, will become the division's president and report to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn. Lucas will be creative consultant on new "Star Wars" films.

Lucas said in a statement, "It's now time for me to pass 'Star Wars' on to a new generation of filmmakers."

The deal brings Lucasfilm under the Disney banner with other brands including Pixar, Marvel, ESPN and ABC, all companies that Disney has acquired over the years. A former weatherman who rose through the ranks of ABC, Iger has orchestrated some of the company's biggest acquisitions, including the $7.4 billion purchase of animated movie studio Pixar in 2006 and the $4.2 billion acquisition of comic book giant Marvel in 2009.

Disney shares were not trading with stock markets closed due to the impact of Superstorm Sandy in New York.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/disney-buying-lucasfilm-4-05-billion-200845002--finance.html
Dreyder (aka Deeder)
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 11:53:46 PM »

WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!
Agile
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 03:19:22 AM »

HE LIVES!

(and by this, I mean Dreyder!) Wink

Actually, I agree with ya, bud - Disney buying Lucasfilm is probably going to be a "very good thing." Despite initial reaction from the NerdUniverse.

Keep in mind, Disney is behind the recent Avenger movie, and they've continued to make Pixar a profitable and entertaining studio, producing billion dollar after billion dollar picture.

As I said in chat tonight, Disney is the company that made an amusement ride at Disneyland (Pirates of the Caribbean) into a billion dollar franchise. Wink

Fact is, after Ewoks., Jar Jar and midi-chlorians, how could they POSSIBLY do worse than Lucas to hurt the franchise?

Dreyder (aka Deeder)
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 10:47:54 AM »

I think Disney (especially Pixar) can do a better job with it than Lucas can...
Plus he decided a long time ago to let other people write in what happens after the original trilogy... and that turned out great... so I don't really want to see a Lucas written Episode 7 that comes into conflict with the expanded universe.

I'm hoping the next trilogy is the Zahn trilogy... or at least some sort of mature story.

The best example of Disney's capabilities is how they have brought the Marvel universe on the big screen (Yes they own Marvel too). I love how they go and get people who are fans of the material to work on it... LOTR style... rather than say... 90s Batman style...

ps.: I'm pretty sure Dark Horse comics must be pretty PO'd right now
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 12:47:53 PM by Dreyder (aka Deeder) » Logged
Agile
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 01:18:24 PM »

Yeah - that's one of the connections that'll go by the wayside - unless of course, Disney buys up Darkhorse too. Cheesy

Tusc
Tank Spec Tusc
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 09:37:30 AM »

I'm hoping the next trilogy is the Zahn trilogy... or at least some sort of mature story.

This was my initial reaction.  But the more I think about it, the more unlikely I believe it to be.  That would mean new actors for familiar characters that fans have identified with their real life counterparts. Not that I would complain about having a Mila Kunis played Leia, but I don't think it will fly for the most part. I also think the alure of having a new script and new story is too strong to pass up. Disney has to be aware of the overall fail of the most recent three films (Phantom Menace was a fail, but the I enjoyed the other two, although not as much as any of the original three) and will probably want to start an entirely new chapter.

Various four letter named toons.
Agile
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 12:41:33 PM »

Well, it's an extremely rich universe. And, I mean, they rebooted Star Trek (to my chagrin - I don't think the new movie was so amazingly awesome that they needed to go there) - but, it did make a lot of money and we now have JJ Abrams as the new god of Star Trek.

So, who knows what they'll do. I think the original KOTOR, for all the hate that TOR received, was an awesome game, an awesome story, and could just as easily be done in Star Wars' future as it was in the past.

ThunderWalker
Guild Member

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 08:14:32 AM »

I'm excited about some aspects of this, however some leave me in fear for the SW universe.

The Good
 That they will help Lucas get things better organized, written, and push him to make the next 3 movies the most spectacular films he's done in over 2 decades. I think there may be a great enough revamp from the 2nd set of 3 - that he may have to go back after the 7th/8th/9th and redo the 1/2/3 that we have mixed feelings for. They help him create a new "Up/Wall-e/The Incredibles" type success and push the Star Wars realm forward.

The Bad-
 That they "Kiddie" things. Make it more geared towards youngsters. I know its not necessarily a bad thing to do in some aspects, however I remember lots and lots of failed ventures by Disney. I fear that the movies planned- get revamped to the point where the 4yr old to 11/12/13 are the target audience of all Star Wars ideas.

The Ugly
George is removed from the Creative Consultant position, he's stripped of any legal right to Star Wars, and the series is turned into something like John Carter, G-Force ( a talking guinea pig special forces team really?), or something truly horrific like Hannah Montana, Johnas Brothers, or something along that line of mind numbing drivel.

The Super Freaking Scary
http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig8/bryan8.html

http://parabasis.typepad.com/blog/2012/10/our-mythology-under-lock-and-key.html

After reading those 2- I fear for all of the fans, the time money and effort put into things like the501st Legion ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/501st_Legion ) the fan based Imp Group that does comic cons, events, and has a world wide membership. I fear Disney and the intellectual property lawyers, politicians they've bought and a complete utter fucking mountain of money at their fingertips, are going to put the 501st in the grave.
I fear for our creative spirits, our ability to do fan work, and that once Stan Lee dies ( he's 89 boys and girls ), that the movies about our Comic Book heros, will become locked down in the Disney Vault.

I have hopes that we see the better side of Disney, although after researching - I very much doubt we will. I think that Disney being the generalized mountain of assbaggery that it has become, and has become a soulless corporate entity that is gorging on the things of our childhood dreams, and will stop at nothing to control the minds, and how we think.
Don't be surprised if you start seeing news about Disney suing about Star Wars or other Lucas related items. It won't be the first time you'll see something. I very much doubt that it will be long before you see the 1st announcement.

Deezz Nutz!
Krisa
Guild Member

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 10:48:20 AM »

Think if they redo any movies , imo , should be 4-6 , 1-3 are great movies with good special effects. 4-6 are outdated and sub par to 1-3 , this is just my personal opinion.

I dont think Disney will take away from the aspect of Star wars , if anything theyll improve on it. Star wars were never rated R or anything so shouldn't be an issue. Disney has grown past just making kiddie movies. While they might not be rated r but still they come out with great movies.
Agile
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 01:23:20 PM »

Thunderwalker -

Disney "kiddify" - you mean, like they did with the Avengers? Naa, don't see it.

To say nothing of the fact (okay, something) - that Lucas himself kiddified the shit out of SW. Even in the original trilogy (Ewoks anyone?? They had a PG rating for crying out loud - Jar Jar??)

They Lego Star Wars and they have a cartoon series on Cartoon Network. They even have a Star Wars set for toddlers. How could it possibly get any MORE kiddified?

Not everything Disney does is for kids, and hasn't been for a long, long time. I wouldn't say all the shows on ABC are anywhere near kid-friendly. Anyway, they created Touchstone Pictures back in 1984 for the sole purpose of producing "mature films with darker tones" than with the Disney label.

As far as your point about Lucas - honestly, I just hope he stays mostly away from it. His expertise is in special effects and a flair for the grand and epic adventure - it's not really all that great in regards to story-telling, as he's simply telling the same tale told .. well, 1000 times before. (See: Joseph Campbell: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hero_with_a_Thousand_Faces )

I'd be VERY surprised if they touch the 501st legion. They have a HUGE presence in Florida and in fact, I don't think it was any accident that they had a HUGE Star Wars festival at Walt Disney World and that the 501st was part of it.

http://www.wired.com/geekmom/2012/09/star-wars-celebration-vi-501st-legion/

http://www.501st.com/celebration/

Is Disney in it to make money? Sure. Could we see more creativity if artists are left to their own devices? Sure. Is merchandising a bad thing? Hell no. I LOVE the fact that they keep producing Star Wars toys. Once upon a time, they weren't on the shelves, people. Try to find something Star Wars-centric back in the early 90s, and it was impossible. For a while there, even after the new movies came out, the toys were only there at Christmas - now, finally with cartoons and all that, you can find new merchandise all the time. And yes, I enjoy buying the stuff for my kids. Heck, I collect some choice pieces for myself.

If every movie that comes out is new and original, it's hard to get jones about the merchandising - and as much as I liked Wall-E and Up, I didn't really get (nor did my kids) all excited about the merchandising for them. I'd far rather buy a mini-R2 for the kids to roll around on the floor for $100 (and I did) - than a mini-Wall-E robot.

It's easier to get jonesed up about Ironman than it is about Thor. There's just more stuff out there and more movies to enjoy. (I'm reflecting some criticism I read in Wired about the downside of Disney and how there wouldn't have been a Toy Story 2 if it hadn't been pushed by Disney - or a 3. Well, tough shit, they all made a ton of money, kids enjoy them, and the merchandise is here to stay.)

Anyway, Thunder, not trying to shoot down your ideas so much as I think some of your worries are a bit unfounded given past performance. Having said that, only time will tell, but I have hope, high hopes, of seeing some real good come out of this. I mean, they saw what worked with Avengers and locked up Joss Whedon for all KINDS of shit. That's what they did with Pixar as well  - still pushing out successful movies, too. I fully expect LucasArts to keep on keeping on.

Oh, and Lucas got a 5% tax break by doing the deal before 2013. Wink

szalkerous
Guild Member

もういちど ください!

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 02:32:46 PM »

I kinda gotta agree with Thunder on this one....

Then again, I was so disgusted with Ep. 1, that I never saw 2 & 3. I just cashed out at that point.

ThunderWalker
Guild Member

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 09:08:29 AM »

@Agile -
     I do believe your points are valid and have meat to them. The "kiddify" I meant, was that they would make it almost on par with like "Spy Kids (Miramax 2001)" or "G-Force - again spec ops trained guinea pigs?" type things. Where they basically remove ANY factor that might have an IQ of 85 or more to understand it.
I am NOT ignoring the Pixar, or Touchstone aspect. I still see Pixar producing good quality Teen/Young kid biased movies. They are great at them. Lets take a look at them...

1. Toy Story (1995)
Release Date November 1995
2. A Bug's Life (1998)
Release Date November 1998
3. Toy Story 2 (1999)
Release Date November 1999
4. Monsters, Inc. (2001)
Release Date November 2001
5. Finding Nemo (2003)
Release Date May 2003
6. The Incredibles (2004)
Release Date November 2004
7. Cars (2006)
Release Date June 2006
8. Ratatouille (2007)
Release Date June 2007
9. WALL·E (2008)
Release Date June 2008
10. Up (2009)
Release Date May 2009
11. Toy Story 3 (2010)
12. Cars 2 (2011)
13. Brave (2012)
Wow... and I consider each one of them- basically a kids movie. I liked all of them ( except A bug's Life and Brave- I haven't managed to watch them.)

Touchstone (the list is way too long for me to list- so Wikipedia link go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Touchstone_Pictures_films ) has an impressive listing of films.
If you notice, that I put the "Kiddify" notion as a mild option of what I consider the options of what I foresee.
I really really fear the Ugly and the Freaking Scary will come to pass. Yes- George & Star Wars has been a huge cash cow for Disney, however Disney isn't always smart.

"Save Disney" campaign and Eisner's ouster

In 2003, Roy E. Disney, the son of Disney co-founder Roy O. Disney and nephew of Walt Disney, resigned from his positions as the company's vice chairman and chairman of Walt Disney Feature Animation, accusing Eisner of micromanagement, flops with the ABC television network, timidity in the theme park business, turning the Walt Disney Company into a "rapacious, soul-less" company, and refusing to establish a clear succession plan, as well as a string of box-office movie flops starting in the year 2000.

(That is from Disney's Wikipedia page :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Walt_Disney_Company#.22Save_Disney.22_campaign_and_Eisner.27s_ouster )
If the Nephew of Walt, and Son of a Co-Founder (another Disney), called his OWN company such things, maybe there is some truth right Agile?
I have never said anything against Pixar, or Touchstone, just made the comments that I fear that this may not be a great thing farther down the line.
Disney has a history of bad management, bad dealings and doing some really big assbaggery.
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_The_Walt_Disney_Company )

For the record:
I do like Disney, I like Pixar, Touchstone, Miramax ( Yes they're owned by Disney too), and I have enjoyed MANY films produced, touched, or re-cut by them.
I am just concerned that the farther down the time line we travel ( 5-10 years maybe 15 at the latest ) we will look back on the day George signed with regret.

I am trying to be very concise and very detailed in my reasoning, I know I sometimes fly off the handle and I usually love playing Devil's Advocate for a lot of things, this one, I have to stand up and say "NO, I do not like this!"
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 09:19:16 AM by ThunderWalker » Logged

Deezz Nutz!
ThunderWalker
Guild Member

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 11:59:46 AM »

ok- I found this gem...  it might illustrate my idea a bit more...

http://news.yahoo.com/princess-leia-learns-disney-princess-video-223824197.html

if this is how any "Princess" is going to behave in a Disney style Star Wars...
we really might want to reconsider the merger.....

right?

Deezz Nutz!
Agile
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 01:01:10 PM »

LOL  - Leia as a Disney princess.. wow. Yeah, scary thought. Wink

As for Eisner - he had a pretty phenomonal run at Disney, I thought. I mean, he took a floundering Disney in 1984 and turned the sucker around. For a while there, Disney was producing some really, really crappy movies. The current guy (Iger) is pretty good too, really. I imagine Eisner got pretty drunk on his own power and success. Or something. Wink

Anwyay, kind of off-topic there  - but to your point about the Disney movies being kids movies - the original Star Wars was practicallya kid's movie. That was what my point was about. Wink Hell, I saw it when I was 9 years old - in the theaters. My kids have been collecting Star Wars stuff since they were old enough to hold the action figures.

I know we're just talking opinions here, and it's all in good fun, btw. Wink I just think a lot of the angst (not yours, but all of it blown up on the web) is overblown. Smart companies don't buy successful companies just to change their business and start losing money. Disney IS a smart company. Do they leverage their intellectual property? Hell yes. But they largely do it in entertaining and enjoyable ways. That's why people keep sending them money.

I mean, heck, I read in the other (I think in Wired) that for the first time, a GAME (on the Android and iPhone) actaully influenced a character at the theme parks, instead of the other way 'round. So, now at Disneyland, they have some alligator character walking around. It was pretty fascinating. Oh, and why is that? Because some bigwig from Blizzard left them and went to Disney and is one of the bigwigs at the gaming section of Disney.

Back to the intellectual property thing - why is it in Disney's interest to ruin Star Wars? Have you ever been to the Star Wars Experience (or whatever it's called) at MGM @ Disneyworld? I have... I have pictures of the kids standing in front of the not-quite-to-scale AT-AT out front of it. And it's awesome walking by R2-D2 and C-3PO while you're waiting to board. Or the Indiana Jones attraction - I bought a toy gun for my son out front it. And it was AWESOME - I mean, they roll a friggin airplane out and whips and guns and stunts.. just amazing.

Anyway, I say all of the above not to argue, but to encourage you.. I don't think it'll be bad - keep up some hope! Smiley Don't let the haters get you down.. there are going to be more Star Wars movies... Wink

Dreyder (aka Deeder)
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 05:17:53 PM »

This was my initial reaction.  But the more I think about it, the more unlikely I believe it to be.  That would mean new actors for familiar characters that fans have identified with their real life counterparts. Not that I would complain about having a Mila Kunis played Leia, but I don't think it will fly for the most part. I also think the alure of having a new script and new story is too strong to pass up. Disney has to be aware of the overall fail of the most recent three films (Phantom Menace was a fail, but the I enjoyed the other two, although not as much as any of the original three) and will probably want to start an entirely new chapter.
Well you're probably right as they said it'd be an original story...

In defense of the Thrawn trilogy feasibility though... the one existing character you mostly see is Luke... which could be replaced by a look alike honestly... I have a lot of respect for Mark Hamill as a voice actor but it's not like he acting was all that impressive in the original movies...and Luke Skywalker look-a-likes are not all that uncommon.
Plus there's always work some digital magic like they did for Clu in Tron2.

As for Disney "kidifying" stuff... well they did that for the Avengers and pulled out the whole Marvel Hero Squad stuff... which is like Marvel heroes in chibibi or something... but it's not like anyone interprets any of that crap as "canon"... I think most people would consider that even the MHS TV show falls in the merchandising category...

It'll be interesting to see what is and isn't considered as Star Wars canon from that point on though seeing as GL was always considered as the ultimate source of canon...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_wars_canon#What_is_Star_Wars_canon.3F
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

*BoldItalicizedInsert ImageInsert Quote
* Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry
Last 6 Shouts:
September 04, 2016, 01:28:32 PM
Wink Thespian - I am lucky I got me one of those! Tongue
August 23, 2016, 10:24:50 PM
Summer sux w/o a Racy women at your side
July 20, 2016, 08:39:04 AM
Hey y'all!! Hope everyone is having an Awesome summer!!!
July 06, 2015, 07:06:32 AM
Ha! Ark, eh? I played a little bit, neat little game! Jules is still playing it a lot. Smiley I've been dabbling in TSW, SWTOR and NW
June 09, 2015, 06:05:40 PM
I am there with you Ianhawk also playing a lot of RUST
June 09, 2015, 08:34:06 AM
Addicted to now playing Ark Survival evolved.
Show 50 latest

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 15372
  • Total Topics: 1845
  • Online Today: 2
  • Online Ever: 51
  • (February 27, 2013, 01:50:06 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 2