Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
The Crimson Guard

Recent

Teamspeak

Loading... Progress
Need Voice Comms? 

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2017, 12:15:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This movie looks insane!  (Read 3925 times)
Dreyder (aka Deeder)
Global Moderator

« on: July 30, 2012, 10:57:53 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWnAqFyaQ5s&feature=player_embedded#!
ThunderWalker
Guild Member

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 12:05:10 AM »

indeed it does!

Deezz Nutz!
Caeldrim
Guild Member

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 01:06:38 AM »

Ok, that just got put on the top of my "movie to see" list.  That does look like it'll be pretty freaking awesome.

Speaking of movies, I was reading this morning that the Hobbit is gonna be made into 3 movies...another one I can't wait for.  Grin
Dreyder (aka Deeder)
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 06:58:17 AM »

Speaking of movies, I was reading this morning that the Hobbit is gonna be made into 3 movies...another one I can't wait for.  Grin
Saw that too! That is great news indeed!
ThunderWalker
Guild Member

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 07:12:16 AM »

seriously? 3 movies? the book ( The Hobbit ) I can see each being 2 movies but making it 3- kinda makes me wonder if they're trying to stretch things for $ or if they want to REALLY tell the story well.

Deezz Nutz!
Thespian
Guild Member

Hoobidah!

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 02:48:43 AM »

i have a feeling that 'cloud atlas' will be sooo far above most movie-goers heads that it will fail...much like 'the terminal' did(a prior Hanks film)

Si vic pacem para bellum.
Agile
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 08:27:52 AM »

With three movies, Jackson gets to tell stories that Tolkien only alluded to - like Gandalf visiting Dol Gulder when he was off leaving Bilbo and the Dwarves off to their own devices.

He gets to take the story out of just being a children's novel and the same type of gravity that made the LOTR so awe inspiring. Instead of just seeing the very linear trip (There and Back Again) - we're going to see multiple tales being told. I just hope he doesn't go too far afield with some characters, like Legolas, just becaue he looks good doing a shield-surf down a staircase...(and make up stories that never happened).

One reason I enjoyed LOTR (the movies) so much, is they were painstakingly written to remain about 90-95% true to the original story. (Elves at Helm's Deep still kinda chaps my ass...and I'll never get over not seeing the Cleansing of the Shire...)

But Tolkien has given plenty of backstory in the appendixes, in the Silmarillion, and in the extra books of notes and such that his son published to give a very throrough feel for what was going on in the world when Bilbo was finding The One Ring - an (middle) earth shattering event in its own right.

Thespian
Guild Member

Hoobidah!

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 10:45:54 PM »

ive heard a few people complain about the LotR movies not having Tom Bombadil or the barrows threads in the story, and having read that part of Tolkeins story(many years ago) i disagree...there inclusion in the movie just wouldnt make much sense to the average moviegoer

i cant comment on elves in helms deep or any shire-cleansing, seeing as how i never got that far in the books =P although, i just finished my summer class today and have 3 weeks until fall semester(and GW2), so maybe i should try and rush through the books...hmmm

ThunderWalker
Guild Member

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 12:02:54 AM »

I think this is more.... truthful... but that's my take.

Deezz Nutz!
Thespian
Guild Member

Hoobidah!

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 03:30:39 AM »

if he wanted money, he would have done the Halo movie(and thus every subsequent sequel) and not District 9...

Dreyder (aka Deeder)
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 09:13:30 AM »

Well, money IS the reason the Halo movie didn't get made... squabbles over money between him and Universal.
Agile
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 10:02:25 AM »

Well, obviously, money's a factor.. I mean, that's why we get up in the morning and drudge off to work. But no one could have produced what Jackson produced and NOT have loved the work as much as he did.

I agree about Tom Bombadil.. I thought he was pretty silly as a concept in his own right. And I think Tolkien kinda wedged him into his story, because he liked the character so much. Think I'm kiddin? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Bombadil

He actually wrote the first poem about him in 1934.

As for the Scouring of the Shire (the name of the chapter in the original work)  - I don't disagree, for a movie's sense, of why it wasn't included. From a literary standpoint, it made a lot of sense to me. That even the Hobbits' world had changed, but since, they too had changed, they were able to do what needed to be done - on both a grand scale, and a lesser one (all of Middle Earth and the Shire).

szalkerous
Guild Member

もういちど ください!

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 12:01:34 PM »

See, this is why I like Agile... he's a Tolkien geek through and through. I bet he could sit on here all day talking about it.

Agile
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 12:19:56 PM »

See, this is why I like Agile... he's a Tolkien geek through and through. I bet he could sit on here all day talking about it.

LOL - I'm just a geek through and through. Wink I love sci-fi and fantasy, including the most popular ones, like Tolkien and Star Wars...

Now, Game of Thrones really ticked me off in some ways, because I felt it betrayed "high fantasy" - but, I absolutely love the series and now after fifteen years, I've grown to accept the series for what it is. Wink

Uriel
Guild Member

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 04:22:14 PM »

Or on vent, having an... arousing debate about the POSSIBLE homoerotic undertones of the Sam & Frodo relationship.

Regarding 'Cloud Atlas', it had a hard time getting a distributor to sign on, which seems crazy considering they paid for it out of pocket basically and it looks that good.  but then again, this movie still has no distributor. How can you not want to sell a movie with River Tam, Jason Stackhouse, and Twin Lannister doing shrooms and pummeling monsters?

Dude.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

*BoldItalicizedInsert ImageInsert Quote
* Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry
Last 6 Shouts:
September 04, 2016, 01:28:32 PM
Wink Thespian - I am lucky I got me one of those! Tongue
August 23, 2016, 10:24:50 PM
Summer sux w/o a Racy women at your side
July 20, 2016, 08:39:04 AM
Hey y'all!! Hope everyone is having an Awesome summer!!!
July 06, 2015, 07:06:32 AM
Ha! Ark, eh? I played a little bit, neat little game! Jules is still playing it a lot. Smiley I've been dabbling in TSW, SWTOR and NW
June 09, 2015, 06:05:40 PM
I am there with you Ianhawk also playing a lot of RUST
June 09, 2015, 08:34:06 AM
Addicted to now playing Ark Survival evolved.
Show 50 latest

Stats

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 15372
  • Total Topics: 1845
  • Online Today: 5
  • Online Ever: 51
  • (February 27, 2013, 01:50:06 PM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 3