Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
The Crimson Guard

Recent

Teamspeak

Loading... Progress
Need Voice Comms? 

User

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 13, 2017, 03:15:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Size comparisons...Bigger is not always better... or...?  (Read 8441 times)
Agile
Administrator

« on: September 22, 2014, 09:08:28 AM »

Smiley

We're talking about space ships, by the way!! Jeez. Get your head out of the gutter!

This dude did a chart with a nearly complete (sans Death Star, cuz it would take up too much space, I guess)representation of nearly every imagined space/star ship.

And, because I'm a bigger geek the older I get (and NO, I don't mean my waistline. Shaddap!) - I will post it here for you. Smiley

http://dirkloechel.deviantart.com/art/Size-Comparison-Science-Fiction-Spaceships-398790051

Is the link, and here, is the picture that will break your monitor.

Agile
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 09:10:44 AM »

Man, the more I look at it, the more I need to print it out somehow.. (minus the creep Zerg bug ships.. ewww! who wants THAT on their wall??)

Kordoro
Guild Member

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 12:58:57 PM »

that is cool as hell man your not a geek / dork I am as well this is my favorite site how we can build a starship enterprise tody with our current technology --

http://www.buildtheenterprise.org/

I keep reading the updates in research into star trek technology, and have been looking for the right space game tried eve and ddnt care for it - star trek kind of sucked as well and it was a shame
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 01:00:44 PM by Kordoro » Logged

Tusc
Tank Spec Tusc
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 08:16:36 AM »

I enjoy this stuff as well. You guys might be interested in one of my favorite blogs http://www.centauri-dreams.org/

The lure of space exploration is one of the reasons I changed careers to become a mathematician!

Various four letter named toons.
Agile
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 05:36:47 PM »

I enjoy this stuff as well. You guys might be interested in one of my favorite blogs http://www.centauri-dreams.org/

The lure of space exploration is one of the reasons I changed careers to become a mathematician!

You gonna be an astronaut, bro? Wink (Oh, and Tusc sighting! Hey bro!!)

Btw, any biography of Jeff Bezos should be of interest to you. His love of space travel started at a young age and he even did some pretty interesting "space campy" type things when he was younger. And very early on his career as a voracious billionaire, he bought up a ton of acreage in his native Texas to make (what I assume is) the world's first spaceport. A privately held company has been sending up space flights and now that company (which he helps back) is competing to take Russia's place sending stuff from the US into space.

So.. go work for Bezos!! Tongue (In  Texas, if not Washington!)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 01:29:47 PM by Agile » Logged

Tusc
Tank Spec Tusc
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 09:01:00 AM »

Haha, no astronaut'ing for me. I enjoy the maths and problem solving that is required for us to get out there. The way I see it...we get busy exploring or we get busy dying. I also enjoy combating math anxiety for students in college.

I'll def look into Bezos!

What games is TCG active in these days?

Various four letter named toons.
Starbreaker (aka Kegbreaker)
Guild Member

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 05:53:44 AM »

Full time Board Game Geek member here! I love seeing this kind of stuff. Used to own most of those Warhammer 40,000 models too (the Imperial cruisers and all the Eldar models from Warhammer Epic).

And what awesome timing for me to stumble across this. I just started playing Star Wars: Edge of the Empire pen and paper RPG last month. I would so love to make a poster of this and show the group, "Your on this ship (the size of my pinky) and this is the ship demanding tribute to pass (the size of my arm). What do you do?" hehe

Also, I really liked the blog Tusc posted.  http://www.centauri-dreams.org/?p=31658
Potential Habitable Worlds. Crazy stuff. Blows my mind that this could even happen some day.

Agile
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 01:45:06 PM »

Haha, no astronaut'ing for me. I enjoy the maths and problem solving that is required for us to get out there. The way I see it...we get busy exploring or we get busy dying. I also enjoy combating math anxiety for students in college.

I'll def look into Bezos!

What games is TCG active in these days?

TCG is active in Neverwinter. I just cancelled my ESO account last month - just NO TIME. I got to Veteran Rank 8 and just kinda petered out.

We also have a batch of "old timers" in Archeage and Racy has been putting about 40 hours a week in there.

I'm personally semi-active in SWTOR, still. I've never cancelled my account, and between now and the next expansion, they have a deal going where you can get 12 TIMES the xp on class quests. So, ever a time to check it out, and get ALL the stories, now is it. Smiley

Yaji plays that Blizzard card game "Hearthstone" religiously, along with a few friends. I also dabble about once every few weeks in The Secret World. They had a double xp weekend going on this weekend, and actually stumbled across some early quests we'd never done before. (That game is awesome for the well-thought out puzzles.)

I also have LOTRO installed on my machine and I'm a lifetime member (MAN, am I rich in that game with a monthly stipend!!) but only hop in about once every three months when my ridiculously smart, 8-year old daughter, Julia, has a hankering to jump in there.

However, I also spend about 20-30 hours a week writing (right now, it's a paranormal/sci-fi/thriller/romance), doing some world building, about 5 hours on my second job, doing IT maintenance for a small government contractor, getting to work at 6:30AM at my day job (that has gone to hell in a handbasket!) and about 5-10 hours  a week on getting either the house we're in purchased or another one found!

Oh, +4 kids+cleaning+cooking and such...

Yeah, you can see how/why my gaming time has dropped dramatically!

Oh, yeah. Annnnddd....

Full time Board Game Geek member here! I love seeing this kind of stuff. Used to own most of those Warhammer 40,000 models too (the Imperial cruisers and all the Eldar models from Warhammer Epic).

And what awesome timing for me to stumble across this. I just started playing Star Wars: Edge of the Empire pen and paper RPG last month. I would so love to make a poster of this and show the group, "Your on this ship (the size of my pinky) and this is the ship demanding tribute to pass (the size of my arm). What do you do?" hehe

Also, I really liked the blog Tusc posted.  http://www.centauri-dreams.org/?p=31658
Potential Habitable Worlds. Crazy stuff. Blows my mind that this could even happen some day.

Are you reading my mind dude??? Wink

As mentioned, I'm getting MORE in Star Wars as I am getting older. Have introduced the kids to the table top X-Wing Miniatures game.. AWESOME.

We've bought the following:

And can't forget this one!! (my favorite Star Wars ship of all time!)

Agile
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 01:55:50 PM »

But I wanted to add (didn't want it all in one post Tongue )

We're playing Edge of the Empire too! Going to try to do Saturdays at 3pm -9pm EST.

Gonna have 2-3 of my kids, Racy, and possibly Kallista and Yaji if they show up/can find the time. Wink

Wait, Yaji (Ryan) lives in Seattle! How the hell is he going to show up in Fairfax, VA???

Roll20.net, that's how. Smiley

https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/518339/fairfax-eofe

We are just getting going, we are all just learning the game, but it looks like a ton of fun. I got the API script working so the dice rolls work with the in game character sheets. It's REALLY cool.. and now that I've spent about 10 hours working with the interface, I now prefer the online version of table top gaming better. Mainly because, I can scan in an image and expand it, and it looks FAR, FAR better and, in fact, more realistic and detailed than anything I've used in normal table top play.

I mean, I TRIED using things like pre-imaged map sets and stuff, but the gaming groups I always played in always ended up going back to plastic grids that we could draw the passways and castles and the like on it. It was fun and we enjoyed it, but being able to drop a tavern in front of everyone, complete with music ambiance, line of site and all kinds of neat tricks.. WOW.

Here's a quick video where the gal shows some tools she used to make a heckuva tavern, and it only takes a few minutes to put together (when you're good at it, that is!) Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaeoYrf2Q20#t=92

Attached to the message is a screenie of the first encounter of the campaign that I threw together. Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

*BoldItalicizedInsert ImageInsert Quote
* Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry
Last 6 Shouts:
December 07, 2017, 01:51:43 PM
There are those of us who lurk in the depths, fiercely protecting this Utopia frozen in time. How's everything Thes?
December 05, 2017, 11:36:02 PM
Oh my...its dead
September 04, 2016, 01:28:32 PM
Wink Thespian - I am lucky I got me one of those! Tongue
August 23, 2016, 10:24:50 PM
Summer sux w/o a Racy women at your side
July 20, 2016, 08:39:04 AM
Hey y'all!! Hope everyone is having an Awesome summer!!!
July 06, 2015, 07:06:32 AM
Ha! Ark, eh? I played a little bit, neat little game! Jules is still playing it a lot. Smiley I've been dabbling in TSW, SWTOR and NW
Show 50 latest

Stats

Members
  • Total Members: 4674
  • Latest: yrlpzt
Stats
  • Total Posts: 15372
  • Total Topics: 1845
  • Online Today: 2
  • Online Ever: 51
  • (February 27, 2013, 01:50:06 PM)
Users Online